A training session with Paige
Touch Football is a sport that requires a very specific fitness. Players require a combination of speed endurance, power off the mark, agility, flexibility and overall aerobic capacity to play at an elite level. It is very unique as it is one of the only sports that requires you to run backwards a lot of the time at a high speed. Must be why all the players have such tight bods. Fettle girl Paige Parker is preparing herself to represent Australia at the Trans Tasman Touch Football Tournament in May and we join her for a typical session in her lead up.
We encourage you to get out of the gym and head down to your local park and have a go at it and see how sore you wake up the next day!
- 400m jog
- Active stretching e.g. high knees, bum flicks, grapevine, lunges, sumo squats, spinal twist
- T agility drill (places markers in a T shape 5 m apart)
- Forward running from marker 1 to 2, sideways shuffle from marker 2 to 3, forward running from marker 3 to 4, sideways shuffle from marker 4 to 2, backwards running from marker 2 to 1
- 4 sets of 4 (1 min rest between sets)
- 100% intensity
- Pyramid speed endurance (place markers in a straight line at 0m,10m, 20m 30 and 40m)
- Forward running 0m – 10m, backwards running from 10m – 0m, forwards running from 0m – 20m, backwards from 20m – 0m, continue all the way up to 40m and work your way back down the pyramid
- 3 sets (1 min rest between sets)
- 100% intensity
- Agility and speed (place markers in a straight line at 0m, 5m, 30m and 35m)
- Run up and back 4 times between 0m and 5m and then sprint 35m, turn around and run up and back 4 times between 35m and 30m and sprint to 0m
- 4 sets (30 sec rest between sets)
- Lactic tolerance (place markers in a straight line at 0m, 10m, 15m, 20m)
- Run up and back between 0m and 10m as many times as possible in 30 sec. Rest for 30 sec and repeat trying to beat your reps.
- Rest for 1 min
- Run up and back between 0m and 15m as many times as possible in 30 sec. Rest for 30 sec and repeat trying to beat your reps.
- Rest 1 min
- Run up and back between 0m and 20m as many times as possible in 30 sec. Rest for 30 sec and repeat trying to beat your reps.
- Jog 400m
- Static stretches focusing on legs and back